Hello!
I'm going to carry on now from where I left off!
Right, So I was talking about the man up the road, Derek who looked after his sister who also suffered from The alien invasion. He was truly special as he pretty much gave up his life to look after family members who ended up ill. His Sister was his last.
My grandpa once went up to the shop and didn't come back for a while... again. So there we were worried again and I took a drive up the road to the shop and no sign. I decided to stop off at Derek and true as bob there he was! Thank goodness! Thank goodness for Derek for befriending my grandpa and making him some coffee. It happened a few times and we were so glad and appreciative that someone was willing to pay attention to my grandpa. Sadly, at the end of the day my grandpa never remembers him anyway. If I wanted to go for a walk I would take my grandpa off and take him to Derek for some coffee so that he also got out.
Derek's sister passed on and then he had no one to look after and therefore didn't know what to do with himself. It was all he was used too. I don't think he was coping as he suddenly got very ill and at some point fell and broke his hip and then had a Tumor that was close to impossible to remove. He then sadly passed on too. Bless his special soul.
Back to my grandfather, It was sometimes quite funny watching him come in through the gate as he just had to buy a Citizen and The Star newspaper even though, they pretty much had the same news, and sometimes he would have bought biscuits or a chocolate and hide it (badly) in between the papers. It was his money he was spending so who knows why he felt the need to hide it.
The worry now was, is with people sometimes being dishonest you never knew if they could be ripping my grandpa off if they knew he had a bad memory and for all we know my grandpa lost sight in what was R10.00 and what was R20.00. How do we control this though without taking away his independence whilst he still had some. It is really difficult as sometimes you see that he is in a bad zone and the next day, perfectly fine.
My issue with this alien taking over... My grandpa is absolutely healthy.... Except, he's no longer healthy with his mind! and THIS! is what is devastating about Alzheimers.
Until next time :)
Cait xx
No comments:
Post a Comment