Wednesday, 4 July 2012


The Invasion


Finally! oh! how I have missed blogging! It has been so long and I feel terrible for not continuing the story about "The invasion of Alzheimers!" BUT.... I am back and I will be blogging regularly. I will be carrying on from where I left off. Enjoy.

I apologize for such a delay and I will make it my mission to get a post done more than once a week. :)

Right, lets get going

The invasion, This is when we came to realize my loving grandfather was being invaded by an alien. In the last post I described how I started hearing the same story at least three times. Well, the memory loss moved onto directions.

For a long while my gran and grandpa used to go to Monte Casino every second Sunday, until of course, my Gran sadly past away. My grandpa would then go alone... Every now and then we would get a call from him saying he doesn't know what road he had taken and we had to try and figure out where on earth he was. After a while, it was every now and then to every time he went. We then started meeting him half way and even that was becoming difficult.

It started to become a worry, knowing that every time he left his farm he could end up somewhere that isn't safe or just lost where he wouldn't be able to give us an idea as to where he could be. Monte Casino slowly became an every two week visit to once a month to maybe twice in six months. It was almost as if he had forgotten he ever went. The trips to the Krugersdorp shops that he would also go to every Sunday came to an end and instead, would shoot down the road to a stop shop. Unfortunately it was becoming quite costly going down the road as some of us know how those prices are higher than most places, so this is when we had to start taking over the shopping and meet him halfway to give it to him. He lived about half an hour to forty-five minutes away

Yet, his routines remained the same on the farm with walking around the entire farm, looking at trees, to walking in the geeses camp to having the afternoon drink in the snookerroom. 

By this point we knew that it was time to make a decision. As hard as it was, it needed to be done.

From here on out, my grandpas life as well as ours changed drastically and my Mom and I somehow had to learn how to take care of someone who wasn't the same person for much longer.

He was 70 years old at this point and we decided to throw a 70th birthday for him as well as a farewell. The farewell being to the beautiful farm he had once built up and to the special people who had been there and the memories that we will carry with us for life.
 It was a farewell for myself to say goodbye to a place a grew up going too and having fun with my Favourite granny and my uncle and the walks with my Oupa.

Life was about to change.

The next blog will be about how the alien invaded even more over the years.


No comments:

Post a Comment